All physician assistant students will be required to own a laptop computer and bring it to class on a regular basis.
Mississippi College does not endorse a specific operating system or computer brand. The computer requirement focuses on function and open standards. The following capabilities are required at a minimum:
- Modern, network-aware operating system
- Windows Vista or above, Mac OSX 10.4 or above
- WiFi Wireless network capability
- 802.11n is strongly recommended
- Sound capable with headphone jack
- At least one USB port
- CD read/write/DVD read media drive
- Full DVD read/write is recommended
- Long life battery*
- Malware protection
- Current, fully-patched operating system
- Anti-virus software installed and up to date
- Anti-spyware software installed and up to date
- Modern, standards-compliant Web browser
- Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, or Opera are good choices.
- Standards-based email client
- Must be capable of accessing campus email.
- Some students may wish to use the campus email exclusively.
- Standard "run time" environment for Java programs
- Software to read/write Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint formats
- Ability to read PDF files
* Laptop batteries have a limited life span. It is very common for students to experience less than one hour battery life. This is a sign that the battery is old and should be replaced. Given the length of the school day, we strongly encourage students to replace old, failing batteries; and invest in a second spare battery. The Lithium ion (LiON) battery type is preferred.
** Printers should be able to produce large numbers of copies at a low price.