Application for a Mississippi Teaching License
If you have recently completed a licensure program, including the alternate route 3 or 5 year license, gifted endorsement, or a Master's program*, you will need to complete the following application request form and return it to our office via fax or email along with a recent Banner transcript. Praxis scores must be included for all alternate route licenses.
Licensure Application This form must be completed if your license request requires a university recommendation. All licensure recommendations from the Department of Teacher Education and Leadership are completed through the use of this form.
Dr. Cindy Melton firstname.lastname@example.org
*If you are upgrading your license in the same subject area (your undergrad was Elementary Education and your MED will be Elementary Education) from an A to an AA license, you will only need to send a transcript to the MDE and complete your part on the Electronic Licensure Management System (ELMS) at the MDE website www.mde.k12.ms.us No university recommendation form is required for a license upgrade.
Mississippi College offers undergraduate programs which lead to initial licensure in Mississippi in the following areas:
- Elementary K-6
- Special Education K-12 (add-on endorsement)
- Secondary Education 7-12
- Social Studies
- Secondary Education K-12
- Music (Vocal and Instrumental)
- Kinesiology (PE)
Current teacher education candidates may also add on additional areas of endorsement, based on current MDE guidelines. For a list of areas and requirements, click on Supplemental Endorsements for EDU majors.
For a complete list of all supplemental endorsements offered at MC, click on Supplemental Areas of Licensure.
Alternate Route Licensure Program
Mississippi College offers coursework which can lead to alternate route teacher certification.
Mississippi College offers graduate programs which lead to initial licensure in Mississippi in the following areas:
- Initial License - Class A (Completion of MED leads to Class AA). Candidates must have an undergraduate degree prior to entering this program.
- Masters in Education/Teaching Arts (Alternate Route)
- Initial License - Class AA in School Administration. Candidates must possess Class A license prior to entering this program.
- Masters in Education/Educational Leadership
- Initial License - Class AAA in School Administration. Candidates must possess a Class AA license prior to entering this program.
- Education Specialist/Educational Leadership
- Education Doctor/Educational Leadership