Adding Text and Managing Resources
For each week of topic in your class faculty can add a text summary explaining the themes and goals. Moodle v2.0 has a newly designed file repository called file picker that allows faculty to upload a file one time and have it available for use throughout Moodle. Moodle also gives faculty the ability to give students access to individual files or entire folders from their file repository. Additionally, SMoodle gives faculty the ability to link students to outside websites for articles and videos or embed videos directly into their course
- Editing Weekly or Topic Summaries File - This video will show how summaries can be added to each week or topic.
- Uploading Resources File - This video will illustrate how to make resources available to students throughout your course as well as introduce users to the new file repository.
- Uploading Files Page - This video will review the File Picker functionality and options for use from a teacher perspective.
- Linking to Websites File - This video shows how faculty can provide their student's links to external websites.
- Embedding Videos File - This video shows how faculty can embed videos directly into their course from external sites such as YouTube, TED, and the Khan Academy.
The Assignment activity is a great tool to collect and grade student work. It allows the instructor to provide instructions for the assignment as well as due date functionality that integrates with their calendars within Moodle. It keeps a record of all student submissions, including exactly when students submitted their assignment.
The Assignment Activity also gives faculty grading functionality that automatically feeds their gradebook, which helps provide more timely feedback to their students. It is therefore highly recommended to use this activity for student assignments whenever possible.
- Upload a Single File - This video will illustrate the use of the Upload a Single File activity that can be used when faculty desire a single paper to be submitted.
- Advanced Uploading of Files - This video will illustrate the use of the Advanced Uploading of File activity that can be used when faculty would like to allow more than one paper to be submitted or would like to send edits on drafts back to the student prior to their final submission.
- Online Text File - This video will illustrate the use of the Online Text Assignment activity that can be used when faculty wants the student to just provide a short 1 or 2 paragraph response directly in their web browser rather than submitting a full paper. Online Text is also excellent for Journal responses.
- Offline Assignment File - This video will illustrate the use of the Offline Assignment activity, recommended when no digital submission applies to their assignment but you still want to use the benefits grading screen functionality as well as providing the directions and due dates for students to see within Moodle.
- Student Submission of Work File - This video will help familiarize faculty with how students will use the assignment activities they set up to submit their work.
- Grading Student Submission File - This video will walk faculty through the process of using the assignment activity to grade and provide feedback for each student submission
The Moodle gradebook provides a way for students to get real-time feedback on their course grade. Additionally, it allows faculty to maintain course grades in a database repository, ensuring they are securely stored and backed up. Finally, it keeps a record of each student activity grade and calculates an ongoing final grade, assisting in identifying students who are struggling.
- Simple Weighted Mean of Grades File - This will show faculty who use a total point-based system of grading how to set up their gradebook to use the "Simple Weighted Mean" aggregation type.
- Adding Manual Items File
- This will illustrate how to add manual grade items (i.e. additional columns) in their grade book for items that they are not using Moodle activities for such as participation.
- How to Use Categories File - This video will show how to set up categories within your gradebook for weighted aggregation and organization.
- Submitting Final and Mid-Term Grades File - This video will show how to submit your final and mid-term grades from your grade book in Moodle to your Student Information System.
Forums and Feedback
Online Forums offer a great tool to foster student interaction and discussion. They have some advantages over face to face discussions in that a record of every student submission will be kept that can be reviewed later for assessing participation grades and they allow all participants to be heard. Also, they can help provide student accountability and originally by not allowing students to see other student responses until they have posted their own response.
Using the Feedback activity to administer student survey is another great way that faculty can foster student interaction and gather student feedback.
- Adding a Discussion Forum File - This video will show how to set up a Forum activity as well as how to post new question topics each week.
- Using Feedback Activity File - This will show how to use the Feedback activity to administer online student surveys.
Moodle offers a robust tool for administering online tests and quizzes. This activity can save you valuable time by automatically grading and allowing you to import in pre-created test banks from the outside sources. They also help students get their results in a timely fashion so they can be used to access their current level of understanding.
- Quiz Configuration File - This video will help you understand how to configure the various parameters as you setup the quiz activity
- Manually Adding Quiz Questions File - This video will show you how to manually build and then add those questions to your quiz.
- Importing Quiz Questions File - This video will show you how to import questions into your quiz from external resources such as your textbook resources or a Word document.