Skip to main content
Financial Aid

VA Questions

This is a list of questions specifically related to VA students.

VA Questions

1. What forms are required for me to receive my VA Educational Benefits?

Visit our Required Documents page for all of the information you will need about the forms.

2. How often do I need to complete the VA Term Approval Form?

The UM VA Term Approval Form must be completed each semester of enrollment. Please submit your upcoming enrollment certification directly to Veteran and Military Services.

3. I’ve been asked to produce my Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for the School Certifying Official. What is the COE and how do I get one?

The VA Certificate of Eligibility is the document that verifies that you are entitled to VA Education benefits, what type they are and how much you can get. Before you begin filling out the online form, ensure you have your SSN (and parent’s SSN, if you are a dependent) and bank account information (for Direct Deposit purposes). Visit to apply.

The most common forms used are:

VA Form 22-1990: APPLICATION FOR VA EDUCATION BENEFITS (Veterans and Military, first-time sign-up)


VA Form 22-1995: REQUEST FOR CHANGE OF PROGRAM OR PLACE OF TRAINING (Veterans and Military, previous use)


After choosing the correct form, you will fill out the form and then submit it to the VA electronically.

4. I applied to Mississippi College as a Veteran but was asked to verify my veterans status. How do I verify that and why is it important?

If you applied as a veteran, your status may qualify you for certain VA and Financial Aid benefits. To ensure your status is correct, you’ll need to provide a scanned copy of your DD214 (Member 4), to Veteran and Military Services. You can email the DD214 to and the document will be uploaded to your student file.

5. How can I get a copy of my DD-214 if I need it?

The Department of Veterans Affairs does not maintain records of veterans’ military service, except as necessary for providing benefits from the VA. To obtain or amend a copy of your military service record and/or your Official Military Personnel File (DD-214, OMPFs), please visit the website for the Military Personnel Records Center (MPRC) in St. Louis, which is part of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). If you have been discharged from military service, your personnel files are stored at NARA, which is the official repository for records of military personnel who have been discharged from the U.S. Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard. Visit the NARA website.

6. I’ve been out of school for some time. Do I need to take the ACT?

You’ll need to check with Admissions for your specific case. If you have already taken college classes, you might not need an ACT score, but clarify your status with Admissions. If you have not taken any college classes on Active Duty, you should see your Post/Base Education Center for more information on taking an ACT/SAT prior to Separation/Retirement. Like the ACT and SAT, you can also take the GRE for free on-post. Not taking the SAT/ACT does not disqualify anyone for admission to Ole Miss, but check with Admissions for specific information.

7. How do I know what VA Education Benefits I qualify for?

There are many different benefits. Please go to the VA Education Benefits ( website for details on these benefits and links to the appropriate sources. 

8. What are the tuition and fees at Mississippi College?

Tuition and fees for Mississippi College can be found at

9. Am I able to receive Financial Aid, if I also receive GI Bill benefits?

You can receive financial aid in addition to your GI Bill benefits. Students are encouraged to apply for student financial aid to help offset the cost of education because federal and state veterans benefit sometimes do not cover the entire cost of a college education. When completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), veterans need to be aware of some special circumstances:

• Federal veteran education benefits do not affect financial aid eligibility and are not considered income for federal student aid purposes.

• State veteran education benefits are treated as a resource, not an income, for federal student aid purposes.

• Non-educational veteran benefits must be included on the FAFSA as untaxed income.

Veteran status for student aid purposes is not necessarily the same as veteran status for VA purposes. National Guard and Reservists may not qualify automatically as independent students. Refer to the FAFSA instructions to determine if you qualify as a veteran for financial aid purposes.

10. I am using my GI Bill at another school, but I have been accepted to Mississippi College and would like to use my benefit here. How do I make that happen?

You can only use the GI Bill at one location at a time. To transfer the benefit to Mississippi College and begin using it here, you need to submit a VA 22-1995 (Request For Change of Program or Place of Training) to the VA.

Once you have submitted the application, print a copy of the application and call Meg McCaa in the Admissions Office.

11. I have applied for VA benefits, why haven’t I been paid?

In order to receive your VA benefits, you must submit all appropriate paperwork for each semester. Once the paperwork is submitted to us, the VA Certifying Official will verify your pending semester attendance with the VA to ensure that your book stipend and BAH are ready when you begin school. Tuition and fees will not be paid until the middle of the semester by the VA after we have verified that you are attending classes and billed the VA appropriately.

12. How are tuition and fees reported to the VA?

Certification is sent by Meg McCaa to the VA. The VA will normally take 30-45 days to process the paperwork and then pay the school. Because of this time frame, you will receive monthly bills from the UM Bursar stating that you have not paid your bill and that you have a hold placed on your account. Do not worry! As long as you’ve paid the portion of the bill that you’re responsible for (housing, meal plan, parking, etc.), once the VA does pay those holds will be lifted without penalty.

13. How does the VA pay monthly housing allowance?

The VA pays only for the time that you are enrolled in school. Each month is prorated based on the number of days you were a student for the previous month. The payment will be made the month following (ex. August will be paid in September, September paid in October, etc.). If you do not receive payment, call the VA at 1-888-442-4551. Press 1, then 0 for customer service. Remember that you must be enrolled for a minimum of 12 hours to be considered a full-time student.

14. Why is my check for January, May, August, and December less than other months?

All months are prorated based on the number of days, for each month, that you are enrolled as a student. Your benefits start the day classes begin and stop the day they end. If you take summer classes, you only have to be enrolled in 12 hours (full summer, 1st summer, 2nd summer or combination of each, as long as it adds to 12) to receive your full benefits for that time.

15. Do I have to verify my attendance to the VA each month?

Students using Chapter 1606 or 1607 must verify their attendance each month they are enrolled in school. This will trigger your monthly payment. You can verify by phone (877) 823-2378 or online at VA WAVE.

16. If my G.I. Bill runs out before the end of the semester, will it cover the rest of the semester?

If you are a veteran who is eligible for the G.I. Bill at the start of a semester, then yes. Veterans will receive benefits for the entire semester. Dependents using their parents GI Bill will not be able to take advantage of this. Dependents should contact the VA to determine how many days they will have for their final semester of benefits, to discern what they may have to pay in tuition to cover any difference.

17. I have changed my class schedule after I submitted a Term Approval Form. What do I need to do?

You will need to fill out a new Term Approval Form and have it approved by your advisor. Once it is approved, please bring it to the VMS Office so we may update your certification.

18. If I change my major or program of study, what do I need to do?

You will need to contact your VA advisor about your change of major.

19. How do I ensure that any financial aid is applied to my account?

At the beginning of each semester, please stop by the Bursar Office to ensure that your financial aid (PELL, state aid, scholarships etc.) has been applied to your account. They are located on the first floor of Nelson Hall.  You can also view your account through Banner Web.

20. How long will my claim with the Department of Veterans Affairs take?

Properly submitted forms can be processed in approximately 30-45 days. Billing for each semester will not start until after the 10th class day. 

21. What is the Veteran Affairs website?

22. What is the Mississippi Department of Veteran Affairs website?

23. Are there private scholarships available for veterans?

Yes, please refer to Grants and Scholarships information located on the Office of Financial Aid webpage at

24. Who do I contact if my question is not answered here?

Feel free to contact Meg McCaa at or call 601.925.7715.

Additional Information Can be found at