Serious Illness or Injury
The following procedures should be followed in case of serious injury or illness (The immediate concern is to aid the injured or sick individual(s)):
- Do not move the individual unless there is immediate life-threatening danger (i.e., falling debris, fire, explosion):
- Dial 911 for injuries requiring immediate medical attention, and provide the following information:
- State your name.
- State the problem.
- State where the emergency exists.
- State the number you are calling from and, if possible, have someone stay close to that number until aid arrives.
- Send a runner to meet and guide the emergency crew.
- Call the Office of Public Safety at 601.925.3204. Give your name, location, and telephone number. Give as much information as possible regarding the nature of the injury or illness (i.e., whether or not the victim is conscious, if any treatment is being given, etc.).
- Return to the victim and keep him/her as calm and comfortable as possible. If needed, administer First Aid and CPR, if you are qualified.
- Remain with the victim until Public Safety or Emergency Crews arrive.