Dear MC family,
Some of you are headed out on mission trips, some of you are headed to see family and friends, and some of you are going home. Wherever spring break takes you, we want everyone to return to campus safe and healthy. The spread of the COVID-19 (coronavirus) disease is a rapidly evolving situation, and we want our campus community to have the most up-to-date information as they travel. Please see the important information below.
As a reminder, the most current coronavirus information and resources are available on our website. Thank you for staying informed and working to stay healthy for yourself and our entire MC family.
There have been no suspected or confirmed cases of COVID-19 on-campus nor have any been suspected or confirmed in the state of Mississippi.
The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff is our highest priority. While there is no vaccine to prevent the coronavirus disease, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends everyday actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases, including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Students, faculty, and staff should stay aware of travel warnings, health notices, and advisories that have been issued or may be forthcoming from the CDC and the U.S. Department of State. Remember, other countries affected by COVID-19 are implementing their own travel restrictions that are subject to change without notice and have the potential to impede return travel to the United States. Airlines may change or cancel flights in response to travel restrictions. We want you to return to Mississippi safely.
- University-sponsored travel is suspended for any country with a Level 3 or 4 Travel Advisory as described by the U.S. Department of State. At this time, Level 3 or 4 countries include China, Iran, Italy, Japan, and South Korea. If you have questions regarding University-sponsored travel, please contact Dr. Beth Stapleton, director of the McMillan Center for Education Abroad, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Should you choose to travel to a high-risk nation (U.S. Department of State Level 3 or 4 Travel Advisory), you must be evaluated by a healthcare professional before returning to campus, and you may be subject to a 14-day quarantine at your own expense. We want to keep you and our entire campus community safe and healthy.
If You Have Symptoms
If you develop any symptoms similar to coronavirus (fever, cough, or difficulty breathing), and have recently traveled to an area with the ongoing spread of COVID-19, contact your healthcare professional by phone immediately.