Swerve is MC's annual dance competition held each spring to showcase the dancing talents of Mississippi College students.
Swerve is open for participation from the entire campus. Any student may create a team and register to compete in Swerve. We will have two Swerve 2019 performances! One will be held on Thursday, February 28, 2019, with the other being the following evening Friday, March 1, 2019. If you're considering forming a team, read the rules below, and then fill out the registration form at the bottom of this page
- Swerve teams must be registered by Friday, February 1, 2019, at 4:30 pm.
- Dress rehearsals will be held February 25-27, 2019. Times will be announced at a later date. Failure of a team to come to dress rehearsal could result in disqualification from the competition. Individual absences may be approved.
- All lyrics must be approved, and they should be turned in at the time of your registration.
- Swerve team members can be undergraduate or graduate students at Mississippi College.
- Teams may be made up of all males, all females, or co-ed.
- Swerve teams should be made up of a maximum of 20 people and a minimum of 6 people.
- Swerve routines may not exceed 5 minutes.
- Outfits/costumes should be modest in nature. No short shirts, shorts, or skirts. No low cut or revealing tops. If leggings are worn, they should have no cutouts or mesh, and shorts should be worn over leggings. All outfits will be approved at dress rehearsals.
- Each team is required to choose a charity to dance for. All ticket sale proceeds from Swerve will benefit the winning team's charity of choice. In 2018, $5,000 in ticket sales were donated to the winning teams' charity.
- The Student Life Staff reserves the right to refuse inappropriate songs, dance moves, costumes, or other content from being performed in Swerve routines.