Mississippi College Closes Dorm After Weekend Fire
January 18, 2009Mississippi College closed Chrestman Hall and relocated its students following a weekend fire at the dormitory.
Fire officials are investigating the blaze that evidently started Saturday in the basement of the residence hall. There were no injuries. About 50 students were in the four-story building at the time.
Most of the residence hall's 210 male students were away due to the Martin Luther King Jr. national holiday Monday.
MC officials didn't estimate damage or clean-up costs. Tim Shanks, deputy fire chief with the Clinton Fire Department, has asked the state fire marshal's office to join the investigation.
MC officials are testing the air quality in the building to determine when students may return, said MC public relations director Tracey Harrison. Students were temporarily relocated to other dorms on the Clinton campus.
Clinton firefighters responded to the blaze about 2 p.m. Saturday.