An International student’s success in an American University is dependent upon the student’s ability to understand classroom lectures, to speak and be understood in the classroom, to read and comprehend textbooks, to research and write required papers, and to improve and add to their vocabulary daily.
The success of International students at Mississippi College is one of the prime concerns of the International Center and the Intensive English Program.
You will be tested on your English ability through the Mississippi College Institutional English Evaluation Test (TOEFL-ITP) prior to enrolling in courses for credit. This test will determine your current English proficiency and the enrollment options for the semester.
For detailed information regarding the Intensive English Program at Mississippi College, please view the IEP Handbook.
The mission of the Mississippi College Intensive English Program is to prepare international students for academic course work toward an undergraduate or graduate degree at Mississippi College. To achieve that goal, the Intensive English Program has the following aims:
- To enable international students with the English skills needed to successfully attend and complete any course at Mississippi College
- To equip international students with information regarding American culture so they may transition smoothly into Mississippi College campus life
- To provide international students with frequent opportunities to practice and cultivate their reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills
- To increase international student awareness about the differences between native and non-native English speakers so they may acculturate and continue to increase their competency upon completion of Intensive English Program classes
- To lay a foundation of confidence and competence in English upon which students can build as they engage in activities, relationships, organizations, and work while learning at Mississippi College
Each semester IEP students take various trips off campus to fully experience their local surroundings as well as major surrounding cities. All of these trips are provided free-of-charge to our international students through the Intensive English Program and International Programs. For more information, please visit the field trips page.
Throughout the year, the International Programs office, along with the Intensive English Program, hosts various festivals to celebrate the countries and cultures of our international students: Moon Festival, Celebration of Culture, and International Festival.
Thankfully, the Intensive English Program at MC is supported strongly by the university and the local community. Mississippi College has organizations on campus, such as the Baptist Student Union, Reformed University Fellowship, and the International Student Association, who serve the international students in any needed capacity. Some of these organizations have even helped in picking up and welcoming international students at the airport!
As for the community, we are constantly being asked what the international students' needs are by local organizations. Much of the equipment in the language lab has been donated by local banks, and several of the local churches provide tea and English conversation for our international students who are studying English or simply want to practice their conversational English.