Rev. Alexander Campbell, a Presbyterian minister, succeeded Dr. Comfort as president. He accepted the offer in January 1842 with the understanding that the school would be offered to the Presbyterians. That offer was finalized in April 1842. With his leadership, the faculty grew to a half-dozen instructors. Campbell helped obtain a number of donations to enhance the school library. The collections were so numerous, it required the Masonic Lodge to give up room the group utilized in the college building. Back then, some faculty members earned a whopping salary of $50 per month! Campbell continued to serve on the MC Board of Trustees during his presidency. He resigned as president in 1844, but continued to lead “the female school” at the college.