Skip to main content
Loading
1826

Mississippi Legislature passes an act to establish Hampstead Academy in Hinds County, making it the oldest institution of higher learning in Mississippi and the second oldest Baptist college in the country.

1827

Name change to Mississippi Academy

1830

Name change to Mississippi College

1831

MC becomes the first coeducational college in America to grant degrees to women. Two women graduated in 1831 – Alice Robinson and Catherine Hall.

1842

Presbyterian Church receives control of Mississippi College

1850

Mississippi Baptist Convention gains control of MC; the college discontinues classes for women.

1853

Central Baptist Association establishes Central Female Institute, a sister institution to MC.

1860

Provine Chapel is complete at a cost of $25,000.

1891

Central Female Institute, still a sister institution to MC, changes its name to Hillman College.

1905

The first intercollegiate athletic contests were in baseball.

1907

Mississippi College landmarks like Jennings Hall opened in 1907, and it was considered among the most elegant residence halls in the South. Mississippi College plays its first intercollegiate football game. It’s a win 6-0 over Chamberlain Hunt Academy.

1921

Athletic teams become known as the Choctaws

1927

George H. Mackie writes Alma Mater

1942

Mississippi College buys out Hillman College; MC becomes coeducational again.

1948

Nelson Hall, administration building located in the center of campus, is formally named and dedicated in honor of esteemed physics professor and long-time president of the college.

1950

Formal graduate program is established.

1969

Nursing school added

1975

School of Law added

1996

Launches a $100 million capital campaign entitled “New Dawn,” the largest campaign in the school’s history.

1996

New women's residence hall was built during the New Dawn campaign.

2002

Launches an accelerated degree program for working adults

2003

The Mississippi College Foundation is established to enhance the ongoing giving to the university. MC establishes an international center.

2005

The tribal council of the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians passes a resolution supporting Mississippi College’s use of the name “Choctaw” and related symbols.

2006

Launches a $65 million capital campaign entitled “Growing the Vision” to boost student scholarships, the university’s endowment, enhance facilities and strengthen academic programs.

2006

The construction of the Samuel Marshall Gore Galleries, a spacious, modern facility in which student and professional artists can display their works was made possible through “Growing the Vision.”

2008

First scholarship banquet with keynote speaker Bob Dole to raise money for student scholarships

2011

Launches state’s first physician assistant program.
Awards its first educational leadership doctorate to a Jackson elementary school principal.

2013

Medical sciences building opened

2015
Univserity Place

Opens the first new residence halls in two decades.