Skip to main content
Student Counseling & Disability Services

Services & Procedures

Learn how to obtain assistance and arrange disability accommodations.

Disability Services

Mississippi College has a tradition of providing assistance to students with disabilities. In addition to moral responsibility and the university's commitment to access, there is a legal imperative which is embodied in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

To comply with these mandates, Mississippi College ensures that comparable educational programs and services offered to other qualified students are available to qualified students with disabilities. A "qualified student with disabilities" is one who, with reasonable accommodation, can meet all of an educational program's requirements notwithstanding the disability.

To accomplish this goal, both physical and programmatic access is provided. This means that reasonable accommodations are made in the instructional process to ensure appropriate educational opportunity. This principle applies to teaching strategies and modes, as well as to institutional and departmental policies. It does not mean, however, that essential elements of a course or program will be deleted or substantially altered because of the disability. The objective is to assist the student in meeting established academic standards, not to provide a program different in substance from that provided to other qualified students.

How to Arrange for Disability Accomodations

In order for a student to receive disability accommodations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, he or she must schedule an individual meeting with Student Counseling and Disability Services (SCDS) before each semester or upon immediate recognition of the disability.

The student must provide written documentation from a medical physician and/or licensed clinician that verifies his or her disability with recommended accommodations. Documentation must be current (within 3 years). SCDS will assist the student in notifying his or her professors about the recommended academic accommodations.   

Please contact Student Counseling and Disability Services to schedule an appointment with an available counselor.