Skip to main content

Chapter 1606: Selective Reserve Montgomery GI Bill® 

This educational program is for active members of the Selected Reserve. Selected Reserve components include the Army Reserve, Naval Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, and Air National Guard. 

The Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security (Coast Guard) determine who's eligible for Chapter 1606, and the Department of Veterans Affairs administers the program and pays benefits. Basic eligibility requires a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve and satisfactory participation in required Selected Reserve training.

Chapter 1606 Kickers: An additional amount, called a kicker, may be added to the benefit of some Chapter 1606 students. The possible monthly kicker levels are $100, $200, and $350. A Chapter 1606 kicker may be part of the original enlistment contract or part of a re-enlistment contract. Entitlement: 36 months (Maximum of 48 months if eligible for more than one benefit chapter) Delimiting Date: 14 years from eligibility date, date of separation if student leaves the reserves

Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill® 

The Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (MGIB-AD) can help you pay for education and training programs. If you have served at least two years of active duty, find out if you qualify for the program here.

With this chapter, you may receive up to 36 months of education benefits, paid monthly. The amount you will receive depends on these factors: your length of service, the type of education/training program you choose, your category, whether you qualify for a college fund or kicker, and how much you have paid into the $600 buy-up program. You typically have 10 years to use your MGIB-AD benefits. This could change depending on your situation.

Chapter 31: Veteran Readiness and Employment

If you have a service-related disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, Veteran Readiness and Employment (formerly called Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) can help. This program (also known as VR&E) helps you explore employment options and address education and training needs. In some cases, your family may also qualify for certian benefits. You can read more about Chapter 31 here.

Chapter 33: Post-9/11 GI Bill® Veterans

This chapter helps you pay for school or job training. If you have served on active duty after September 10, 2001, you may qualify for this Chapter. 

With this chapter, you can receive up to 36 months of benefits, including:

  • Tuition and fees: If you qualify for the maximum benefit, this will cover the full cost of public, in-state tuition and fees. We cap the rates for private and foreign schools and update those rates each year. To check current rates, click here. Mississippi College does not charge out-of-state tuition.
  • Money for housing: If you are in school more than half-time, your monthly housing allowance will be based on the cost of living where your school is located.
  • Money for books and supplies: You can receive up to $1,000 per school year.
  • Money to help you move from a rural area to go to school: You may qualify for this one-time payment of $500 if you live in a county with 6 or fewer people per square mile and you're moving at least 500 miles to attend school or if you have no other option but to fly by plane to get to your school. 

Chapter 33: Post-9/11 GI Bill® Transfer of Entitlement Dependents

Eligible service members may transfer all 36 months or the portion of unused Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits (unless the Department of Defense or the Department of Homeland Security has limited the number of transferrable months). If you are eligible, you may transfer benefits to the following individuals: your spouse, one or more of your children, or any combination of spouse and child. For information on how to transfer your entitlement, please click here. You must call the VA at (888) 442-4551 if additional changes have been made to your entitlements.

Chapter 35: Dependents Education Assistance 

These benefits are: for children (between ages 18-26, with some exceptions) of a veteran who is permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or who died in service or who died of a service-related disability or who died while evaluated as having total and permanent service-related disability or who is listed as a POW or MIA AND/OR for the surviving spouse of a veteran who died of a service-related disability, died in service, or died while evaluated as having total and permanent service-related disability, AND/OR the spouse of a veteran or service person who has a total and permanent disability resulting from a service-connected disability or who is listed as a POW or MIA. Surving spouses whose benefits stopped when they remarried can receive DEA benefits again if their remarriage ends by death or divorce or if they cease to live with the person to whom they presented themselves publicly as married.