Skip to main content

Active Military/Reserves

Military Tuition Rate

Congratulations on being accepted to the MC family! Please follow the steps below to complete your process with our office.

#1. Apply immediately for your Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserves on the eBenefits website.

Be sure to apply as quickly as possible, as it can take 3-5 weeks to receive your Certificate of Eligibility. If you have any questions about your Certificate of Eligibility, please call the VA Education Call Center (ECC) at (888) 442-4551. 

Though you may or may not be entitled to the Montgomery GI Bill® you must still apply for it to receive your Certificate of Eligibility.

#2. Submit outside scholarship information.

If you are bringing in an outside scholarship (e.g., local American Legion post), please email the scholarship acceptance letter to or and have the awarding entity mail the check to: Financial Aid, Box 4035, Clinton, MS 39058.

If the awarding entity sends the check to you, please endorse the check and mail it to the address above with your student ID number (beginning with 700) written on the check. 

#3. Figure out what educational benefits you will be using.

You may view a list of possible benefits here.

#4. Submit necessary documents to MC's VA Certifying Official.

You may submit these documents to the official email at, fax them to (601) 925-3481, or drop them off in person in the Office of the Registrar in the back basement of Nelson Hall at the top of the Quad. Look at these instructions to see the necessary documents needed to be turned in for each chapter to start your benefits. These documents may be turned in at any time during the application process.

#5. register with VA eBenefits and make a premum account to track your educational benefits.

This will allow you to view information such as your deposits from the VA, your history-of-certification status, and your remaining entitlements. You can also manage direct deposits or update your address.

#6. Attend orientation.

Once you are accepted to MC, your admissions counselor will contact you regarding course registration and orientation.

#7. Register for classes.

You must be registered for classes before our office can certify your enrollment with the VA. Our goal is to have your courses certifed with the VA thirty days prior to the class session start date. Upon certification, you will receive a confirmation email from the VA, and in 7-10 days, you will receive a letter containing your Certificate of Eligibility, thus letting you know your remaining eligibility after the session that was just certified. If you did not receive either the email or the mailed letter, you can update your information here.

#8: Submit a VA Verification of Enrollment form. 

You are required to fill out the VA Verification of Enrollment Form every semester that you plan to use your VA educational benefits at MC. Fill out the form and email it to or drop it off in-person to the Registrar's Office in the back basement of Nelson Hall at the top of the Quad.

Being an active member or reservist extends to you the following possible education benefits (as your eligibility allows):

  • State Educational Assistance Program (SEAP) is for members of the Mississippi Army Air National Guard.

  • US Department of Defense's Military Tuition Assistance Program is available to active-duty members of the US armed forces, National Guard, and Reserve Component service members in order to pursue higher education in their off-duty time. In general, eligible active-duty service members can receive tuition assistance at a rate of $250 per semester hour (cap) with an annual ceiling of $4,500. The annual limit is based on a fiscal year running from Oct. 1 to Sept. 30 with the benefit being paid directly to the school. You can read more about this funding here.

  • Chapter 1606: Selective Reserve Montgomery GI Bill is available to members of the Air Force, Army, Cost Guard, Marines, or Navy Reserves, as well as the Army National Guard and the Air National Coast Guard. Qualifying students can receive education and training benefits through the VA's Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) program.

  • GI Bill Kicker (also known as the Army, Navy, or Marine Corps College Funds) is offered by the Department of Defense through each service branch as part of an enlistment or re-enlistment contract or for other reasons the DOD determines. The College Fund is an additional amount of money that will increase an individual's basic monthly benefit and will be influded in his/her monthy GI Bill payment from the VA. Each service branch (NOT VA) determines who receives the college fund and the amount that is received. It may be necessary to send VA a copy of your College Fund contract to ensure that the correct amount is added to your monthly benefit.

  • MC Military Tuition Rate offers students a reduced tuition rate of $250/credit hour for qualifying undergraduate programs and a reducted tuition rate of $375/credit hour for qualifying graduate programs.