Why study foreign languages and cultures?
Language study can open up the world, so you can...
- Explore exotic locales, architectural wonders and historic sites
- Enjoy the delicous foods and rich culinary traditions of other regions
- Experience new cultures and make friends from all over the world
- Assist foreign travelers visiting our country
- Make an impact working with immigrants and migrant workers
- Teach and change lives forever
- Open up many career opportunities to do what you love
- Be cool, chulo, chuette, wunderbar, sutekina!
What can I do with a language degree?
With a language degree there is no single career path after graduation. In addition to traditional language careers in teaching, translating and interpreting, language degrees provide exciting opportunites in a wide variety of career paths all around the world. In the past few years, the demand for employees who speak more than one language has more than doubled. With this increasing demand for bilingual and multilingual employees, a language degree can offer a distinct advantage for graduates entering the job market.
|Careers & Industries for Language Majors|
International Political Organizations |
Embassies | Consultants
|Foreign Language Teachers||Marketing | Advertisting | Public Relations|
|English Teachers to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)||Import and Export | International Trade|
|Logistics | Finance||International Student Programs|
|Hospitality | Tourism Industry||Airlines | Cruise Lines | Travel Industry|
CIA | Defense Department | Peace Corps
Humanitarian Aid | Disaster Relief
|Department of Justice | Immigration & Naturalization||International Non-Profit & Mission Organizations|
|Product Localization Management||Electronic Commerce|
- Opportunity International | www.opportunity.org
- United Nations | www.un.org
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages | www.actfl.org
- U.S. Travel Association | www.ustravel.org
- National Association for Bilingual Education | www.nabe.org
- Japanese Exchange and Teaching Program | jetprogramusa.org
- Cultural Experiences Abroad | www.ceastudyabroad.com
- Institute for the International Education of Students | www.iesabroad.org
- CAPA: The Global Education Network | www.capa.org
- Teaching Assistant Program in France (TAPIF) | frenchhighereducation.org
If you would like to apply for an internship, please make an appointment with Dr. Stapleton in the Mac Center by following the link below.
For further career resources and internship opportunities, please stop by the Modern Languages Job Board across from Jennings 105 or visit Career Services in Nelson 313.