White-columned Provine Chapel was completed in 1860 and the landmark remains MC's oldest building. What was the chapel didn't serve that purpose for very long. With America embroiled in a bloody Civil War, the stately building was converted into a hospital for the wounded troops of Northern U.S. General Ulysses S. Grant. The first floor, historians believe, was used as a stable for his horses. It later became a church for Clinton area Baptists in addition to serving the MC family. The facility presently houses the university's Department of Christian Studies and Philosophy and classrooms. The building is home to special events including festive concerts by the MC Singers to celebrate Christmas. In addition, the chapel books weddings and is a favorite backdrop for photographers.
- Designed for worship services, weddings, and choral concerts
- Seating for 475