The OGE Merit-Based scholarship is available for international students who are classified as sophomores, juniors, or seniors in their undergraduate academic program at Mississippi College after they have completed their first two semesters of academic study. Students who have a full scholarship from Mississippi Colleg or are Government Sponsored are not qualified for Merit Scholarships. Qualified applicants must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher in the previous semester, and students must have at least one volunteer event to report on the application. Applications are accepted through the Office of Global Education only. Scholarships are given based on evaluation of GPA, documented volunteer involvement and leadership activities, and a personal essay. Scholarship awards are up to $5,000 per academic year. Evaluation will be made by the International Student Scholarship Committee.
The Merit-Based Scholarship Application should be downloaded and completed electronically. Handwritten applications will not be accepted. The application is two pages, so be sure to complete the entire process. Once it is completed, please send the entire application complete with your personal essay to email@example.com. Once the application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation of receipt. If you do not receive a confirmation, please call the Office of Global Education to be sure your application was received.
The merit-based scholarship application may be submitted once a year. Undergraduate students who started academic study at Mississippi College during the Spring Semester 2018 or before must submit applications before MONDAY, JULY 15 at 5:00 PM.
Applications must be submitted after at least two semesters of academic study. If an application is not submitted, then that undergraduate student will NOT receive ANY form of financial aid ( i.e. merit-based scholarship) from Mississippi College or the Office of Global Education after their first two semesters of academic study.
*Please note that academic study does not include any time spent in the Intensive English Program.
Incomplete scholarship applications will not be considered. Remember! If an application is not submitted, then no scholarship will be rewarded.
The deadline to submit the Merit-Based Scholarship Application for those students who started academic study in Fall Semester 2018 or before is MONDAY, JULY 15, 2019 by 5:00 PM. Applications turned in after the deadline of July 15, 2019 will not be considered.
The applicant must complete the application form completely and honestly.
Only applications that include at least one volunteer entry will be considered by the scholarship committee. Examples of involvement and leadership activities are as follows:
OGE Involvement/Volunteerism/Leadership includes but is not limited to:
- Volunteering to work at OGE events
- Helping the Office of Global Education with new students at the start of a new semester
- Being a member of an on-campus student association
- Writing published articles for on-campus newspaper or newsletter
- Participating and performing in the International Festival
- Participating in the Celebration of Culture, Lunar New Year, or Moon Festival
- Study abroad
- Participating in athletic competitions
- Volunteering time for conversation partners
- Being on the Tribesman (yearbook) staff
- Being on the Arrowhead (arts publication) staff
- Being on the Collegian (on-campus newspaper) staff
- Being a research assistant for a professor (must be non-paid)
- Presenting research at a forum (must be non-paid)
- Any other activities that the applicant feels should be included and could contribute to the evaluation of the application should be clearly listed.