- Research the intended recipient thoroughly and understand the nature of the organization’s products or services before you begin writing.
- Keep your letter short, no more than 1 page.
- Prepare a specific letter for each employer.
- When possible, address each employer by name and title.
- Open your letter with a strong sentence that will encourage the employer to keep reading.
- Be sure to demonstrate how you can support the organization rather than how you hope to benefit from the job.
- Highlight your strengths through your experiences by telling story with real examples.
- Tailor your letter to the interests and needs of the person to whom you are writing. Focus on the outcomes that will help solve the employer’s problems.
- >Check carefully for grammatical and typing errors. Have someone else proofread your letter before sending. Remember that your cover letter is evidence of your communication and writing ability.