Move In Day Tips and Tricks
There are some things every dorm room needs, some things you should coordinate with your roommate, and others that we do not allow.
Everyone should bring:
- Bed linens, including mattress pad, pillows, pillowcases, extra-long twin-sized sheets, blankets – All beds are XL long twins; single rooms in Lat-Webb and Chrestman have XL full-sized beds.
- Bathroom linens, including towels and washcloths
- Bins for toiletries
- Clothes hangers
- Laundry basket, detergent, and dryer sheets
- Surge protector
- Alarm clock
- Room decorations
- Small appliances with an AUTOMATIC shut-off function (coffee pot, electric kettle, crock-pot, etc.)
Coordinate with your roommate to bring:
- Small ironing board and iron
- Television and DVD Player - Basic cable and WIFI are provided in all buildings
- Streaming device (Hulu, Netflix, ROKU, etc.)
- Small Refrigerator – no taller than 3ft. (only one per room) or micro-fridge http://collegefridge.com/mc
What not to bring:
- Halogen lamps or halogen bulbs of any kind
- Hotplate, skillet, toaster, toaster oven, rice cooker, George Foreman grill, or similar cooking or high wattage appliances with exposed surfaces. If the appliance has an automatic shut-off feature it is allowed.
- Pets – besides fish in a tank up to 10 gallons
- An air conditioner or space heater
- Alcohol and alcohol paraphernalia - this includes posters, empty bottles even if they are being used as decorations, clothing, shot glasses, bottle openers, etc.
- Label EVERYTHING! - Make sure that your first name, last name, building, room number, and cell phone number are clearly written on all boxes, bags, containers, etc. that will be moved to your room.
- Click HERE for a premade - Avery Template for 2 x 4 inch shipping labels, product #5163
- Don’t overpack – Don’t overload boxes making them too heavy to carry. You can avoid this common mistake by using smaller boxes. Smaller boxes are easier to manipulate when packing them into vehicles and much lighter for you and the move-in crew to carry.
- Be sure all your belongings are contained in boxes – Loose items are easily dropped or lost. Please make every effort to pack all your belongings inside boxes or containers. That includes hanging clothes, toiletries, shoes, etc.
- Keep it LIGHT – Most buildings do not have elevators and the ones that do often get highly congested, so please try to keep boxes light to make it easier to carry upstairs.
- Bring a handcart or dolly
- Be patient!