We are currently hiring Desk Assistants for the 2018-2019 school year. In order to be considered for the position, you need to be eligible for work-study, meaning that you have filed your FAFSA with Mississippi College and have been granted work-study eligibility and that you have completed the Desk Assistant application through the Career Services website, CareerLink, and the supplemental application. The link to the supplemental application can be found in the CareerLink application . If you have any questions please email them to email@example.com.
The purpose of Desk Assistants at Mississippi College is to maintain a peaceful and productive environment where students feel comfortable to study and socialize in common areas. A Desk Assistant should be a person of responsibility and integrity, willing to work with others, and possess an attitude reflective of the mission of Mississippi College. The primary purpose of a Desk Assistant is to watch the lobby.
The Desk Assistant position is a job with a lot of flexibility. Studying is permissible while on the job. Dates or planned group activities are not allowed. A Desk Assistant should not allow friends to congregate in front of the lobby desk. During their shift, Desk Assistants must remain behind the desk and should not leave the lobby for any reason unless it is an emergency.
- Approximately 8 hours per week
- Some weekends required
Key Duties and Skills
- Assess inventory of lobby furniture
- Place lobby furniture in correct place
- Report lobby maintenance or suspected misconduct to the RA on call
- Greet all visitors in a pleasant and hospitable manner
- Be accessible and available to students
- BE ON TIME for every shift as scheduled by the Area Coordinator or Assistant Area Coordinator
- Answer the lobby phone
- Periodically walk the lobby and check for appropriate behavior and volume levels, etc.
- Confront violators who are in violation of posted lobby rules
- Check in visiting students of the opposite gender
Hourly rate of pay: Minimum Wage